Saturday, October 6, 2018

Kava-NOPE!: It's Time to Make a Change

Disclaimer: this is political. Do with that what you will.

Hello!


Like many people I am horrified by the knowledge that Brett Kavanaugh was just confirmed to the supreme court. I cannot describe the gut-wrenching feeling that washed over me as I read the article announcing the results of the vote. 



I don't know what to do with this information, I am angry, sad, and disappointed in the system and processes our country is built on. But, this is not a time that allows for us to sit back and despair. Instead, we must take our outrage to the polls. Midterm elections are quickly approaching, and they are our best way to tell our representatives our thoughts on the current system. So, if you haven't, please register to vote! I cannot stress the importance of voting and exercising our civil rights. 


As many of you know I go to a fairly liberal university in the very liberal Pacific Northwest. The Kavanaugh hearings have not gone over well here, and the mood on campus is something I last felt immediately post-election in 2016. Sure, many people could say that this response is a reflection of the area I am in, and I don't disagree. But, the accusations against Kavanaugh and the treatment of Dr. Ford and other accusers impacts individuals regardless of political affiliation. 


Women everywhere have felt that their voices have been erased for decades, and this hearing has shown what our current government feels about this issue. Fear keeps so many individuals from speaking. It is time we found a way to ensure safety for those who speak out.


Please, be kind to those around you and believe survivors. And if you need anything else to show you the unacceptable position women are put in please read this Washington Post article. 


https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/dear-dads-your-daughters-told-me-about-their-assaults-this-is-why-they-never-told-you/2018/10/01/0f69be46-c587-11e8-b2b5-79270f9cce17_story.html?utm_term=.772a7a9ce529

Madeline


No comments:

Post a Comment