Tuesday, January 2, 2018

The Day Has Come

Hello!

I know, I know, its been quite a while since I've written anything. I really do apologize about that, but Junior Year is rough. Contrary to popular opinion/advice, I regularly did homework until 11 pm and never felt like I made a dent. Needless to say, I was far too busy to blog. But, guess what? I'm back!

The day has finally arrived; the day I am going to Oxford. Well, there is one small hiccup. I'm not going to Oxford today. Due to a series of events that can only happen in movies, I am delayed a day and will fly out tomorrow (January 3rd). Never mind the fact that I am supposed to be in Oxford January 3rd. I wouldn't have been able to do anything to change the events that transpired to trap me in Seattle, but it still wasn't a great feeling emailing my professor that I would not be arriving on time. 

You'd think that I'd be stressed out right now, but honestly I'm not. Everything is completely out of my control, and so the best thing to do is just wait it out and get to Oxford a day late. It won't really change anything. 

As for the events of today, unbelievable is the best descriptor I can find. Originally I had 3 hours between when my flight landed in Seattle from Anchorage and departed to Reykjavik, plenty of time to leisurely make my way to international departures. Due to a delay in Anchorage I wouldn't have been able to make the second flight with a checked bag, so I grabbed the essentials and left my suitcase with my parents. I got through security, there was an additional delay due to weather, and then halfway through the flight there was a medical emergency (everyone is fine, please don't worry.) As a result of that, and a mad dash to check in for my Icelandair flight, I missed the connection. I watched as the plane pulled away from the terminal, luckily for me the staff was incredibly helpful and quickly booked me on the next flight (again, the only downside is that it is scheduled for tomorrow.) Someone else from the group to Oxford is flying out later tonight, and I was able to tell her what had happened and wished her luck in her travels. Now, I'm in Seattle lounging on a hotel bed and trying to see the positive side of these events. 

I'm viewing this experience as my first true foray into adulting by myself (I know, I'm twenty you'd think I'd have more experience.) Plus, with everyone else already in Oxford they will be able to tell me exactly how the travel from Heathrow to Oxford works. Here's to hoping they don't stick me in a basement bedroom as punishment for my delay. 

Hopefully the next blog you read from me will be in Oxford! If not, my learning continues. 

Madeline

2 comments:

  1. So sorry for all the mishaps. Try to rest and tomorrow will be a better day. Maybe they will upgrade you to first class one can only hope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It all seems to be doing okay today. Thanks for reading!

      Delete